Saturday, February 24, 2007

Wonderful day!

My husband did take the day off yesterday, of course he just left for work this morning! He is his own boss, so he can make his own hours. Usually they are long, but we had a terrific day yesterday!

We started off by using our snowshoes with a long hike with the dog. Both of the boys got tired breaking trail, but it was beautiful and not too cold. We had just gotten about 3-4 more inches of snow the day and night before, so the snow was on all the trees and the sky was a beautiful shade of blue! A lovely start to the morning. From there after w dropped off the dog to sleep, we headed over to Bennington, Vt which is about an hour or so from our house, maybe a little more. Once we were in downtown Bennington the first place we stopped (an the whole reason for going there was..) The Naked Sheep. A fun little shop! We looked around for a while while the owner was knitting a shawl on the comfy couches. I picked out one skein of lovely Fleece Artist yarn. I had never seen this before, so why not give it a try. I also let my husband pick out a skein for his next pair in a fun colorway! Then we walked around the street to one of our favorite pizza shops, hit a used bookstore, a second bookstore and the candy store. It was windy but all the shops were on the same block! Then we headed home. He surprised me by going a slightly different direction and we ended up in Greenwich, NY. Where there was another stop at The Needleworks Yarn Shop. There I found Regia Silk sock yarn! Of course I had to buy it! I saw someone else had bought some and I have been looking for ever since. It is funny that yarn stores are so completely different. They all seem to have Brown Sheep Wool Yarn and Encore, but as sock yarns go, no one has the same companies or colors! I saw no Cherry Hill, Opal, or Mountain yarns... I did however find in both store a new yarn that I have fallen in love with...Royal Cashmere. If you have not seen or touched this yarn, you need to run to your LYS that sells it and beg them for a skein! It was in both stores and I had never seen this before. It has to be the softest cashmere ever! At $38 a skein no less! Sadly that yarn stayed at both stores!


Along the way I was knitting happily on my latest sock for the 6SoxKAL.. springtime in Paris sock. I decided to do top down instead of toe up as the pattern is written. I needed another pair of brown socks, so here is the progress on the 2nd sock.

4 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger Maureen said...

Sounds like a glorious day.....and yarn to boot. What more could a girl ask for :}

 
At 3:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This definitely sounds like the perfect day! But - oops! $38 for one skein of yarn? Ouch! It must be heaven to work with, that's for sure! Who knows, one day we might win the lottery and will be able to buy enough of this yarn for a sweater... or cardi... or... ;)
But the yarn that you got for yourself is so awesome too, such great colours! And I adore the sock that you're working on right now, it's going to be a real beauty!

 
At 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The baby sweater in your last post is lovely.
It sounds like you had a great day! We considered going to Bennington for one of our day trips this week. I wish we had. I have ordered from The Naked Sheep and visited there once a few years ago. The owner is so nice and I couldn't believe how quickly my order arrived. I'm looking forward to trying Fleece Artist yarn. It's lovely. I can't wait to hear what you think of it.
Your Springtime in Paris sock is coming along nicely. I should have done mine top down...
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Diane said...

What a wonderful day. Food, fiber, books, and a lovely walk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home