Thursday, July 17, 2008

New stuff

As you know I have a lovely garden that I work in quite regularly during the summer. One of my goals this year was to try to save more than just tomatoes and tomatillos if I could. I have been making jam from the berries, dill pickles to enjoy now, freezing some squash. I am constantly looking for new ways to store up for the winter months when I can't garden.
july17a
Yesterday I tried some Microwave Bread and butter pickles...
They turned out so well! I grabbed the recipe from AllRecipes.com so if you like bread and butter pickles, these take 8 minutes in the microwave. The recipe called for a cup of sugar, but I only added a 1/2 cup. I think they are perfect! We have been having them straight from the jar as well as on every sandwich and veggie burger over the last several meals!
july17
Next up, was cilantro pesto. I made it with walnuts and it is now in the freezer.

I have been knitting away to stock pile a few things just like my canning effort...
july17b
A cute little wrist yarn ball holder. Made with stash sports weight. Pattern worked up easy and fast. I attached the handles to the ribbing, but the pattern showed cute d-rings. I didn't want to run out to finish the project, so I just attached as is... Darn cute too! I might have to make one of these for me too!

Also finished up a baby sweater..
july17c
This is the Dapper Pattern. I have always loved this sweater on the front cover, but never had the courage to knit it, so I figured why not! I was really easy with a slip stitch pattern to help make the texture. I have one more sweater done in this bright pink, but I still need to sew on the buttons.

On the heath front... husband went to the chiropractor today (finally!) I guess he didn't believe me that he would feel better after he went. A little tightness prevails, but better than no movement at all. As for our dog, Bailey was having some troubles, so we called the vet and took him in thinking he had just ripped a few stitches. The vet said the would was infected and wanted to replace the stitches. So our big, little guy is staying overnight at the vet's tonight. They said he can come home tomorrow morning with an E-collar. Keep your best thoughts on a speedy recovery for our big guy.

2 Comments:

At 10:44 AM, Blogger Briley said...

That baby sweater is adorable!

Sounds like you are having a great summer. I'm glad you are getting to make the most of your garden, and findings ways to enjoy it year round.

Sorry I've been quiet lately, I've still been reading.

 
At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All your knitting and crocheting look great! You've really been working hard:) The pickles must be delicious.
I hope both your boys are feeling 100% soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home