Saturday, June 30, 2007

You may be asking yourself


... What is with all the multicolored hats and mittens. Not why am I making charity things, but what is up with all the colors?!?!? Well you see, as I was digging through the stash I realized I have lots of sport weight yarn and lots of small leftovers of fingering weight yarns. I will never knit with the finger weight, so I thought I will combine the two to make a heavier weight for easier knitting and crocheting. I am not one to throw out any yarn no mater what it is! Well It works well for me, but I am not always too crazy about the results. Will a child like the crazy combos I come up with? Or will they laugh at the effort I have made? Some children may be too young to speak and just cry? Probably not, but I seem to look at many of my crazy efforts and think.. why did you do that?

On the me knitting front. I started a pair of socks! I pulled out the Tofusies Yarn that my secret pal gave me back at Easter and cast on for a very simple ribbed sock.

This is just from one movie and a half hour last night. I haven't gotten too far, but the yarn is spiral striping. Cool and weird at the same time. I love the blues. Funny how wrapped in a ball or cake, no yarn knits up like I think it will. I spent yesterday planning for more sock knitting. I spent a little part of the afternoon re-skeining from hunks to cakes. I wound up some Koigu that a sp sent two sp's ago and the Fleece Artist I got on our trip to Bennington at The Naked Sheep store. Plus two hanks of Cherry Tree Hill. Now I am ready for some major sock knitting! I think after the current sock project I will finally cast on for the Monkey sock. I have seen it on many blogs and took a closer look at the pattern yesterday. I think one of the CTH cakes will be perfect.

Thursday I ran into town to use up a GC at Borders. I found great deals on summer reading and got buy 3 get one free deal with a cozy mystery author - Joanne Fluke. On the way back to the car I stopped at two used books shops and picked up about 2 dozen books. I spend money on books as I do with yarn. I go in major spurts. I won't get anything for months and months, then wham-o... more piles of books (and / or yarn). I figured I recently grabbed some yarn, so it was time for books. This is exactly how I want to spend my summer vacation. Reading lots of books and knitting lots of socks!

9 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger Maureen said...

I like the scrap hats. I like to use up every piece too. It is always fun to see what they will look like. I would love to hear your book reviews. I am planning on quite a bit of reading this summer too.

 
At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the charity knits. Kids like crazy color combos so I'm sure someone will love them.
I love to shop in binges too particularly with books.
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

 
At 6:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really adore your multi-colored hats and I'm absolutely sure that kids will love them too - all these colors are just so fun to look at, and what a great way this is to use up leftover yarn!
Your socks are coming along so beautifully too - great colorway and yummy yarn!

 
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree that kids will love the crazy colors. So keep on knitting them.

I did the same thing yesterday with going to a used book store. I was going to go to B&N and I decided to stop in my local used book store to see if they had the book I wanted. They didn't and I came out with an armload of other books.

 
At 1:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I had no idea that the tofuties would spiral like that. I'm glad you like the blues, and you should be recieving another package soon. :-)

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Batty said...

Another knitting librarian who goes by Batty! This is just too cool! Thanks for stopping by my blog and letting me know you're out there.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Diane said...

No, your color combos are fine. They are a little tweed looking which I love. Keep on knitting; everyone will be scrambling for your hats once they see them.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

I think the kids will love all the color combos....just like I do! : )

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

The colors are nice. They are bright, which is usally what kids like.

Sounds like you had great book finds. I'm on a hunt for some good audio books as lately I am having to always multi-task.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home