Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Best foot forward

That is the color of this wonderful Tofutsies yarn I have been using.

It is color 719. I do like many of the other colors as well listed on this page. Of course I can only find a pink skein at the LYS. I think it was the sock club skein with pattern. I will have to say this is so soft. It really feels silky soft and wonderful! As you can see there is what looks like a full skein left even after I am almost to the toe on the second sock. I may try to get a pair of peds or shorter socks out of what is left. I would hate to see all the yummy goodness sit in a drawer! Notice how the yarn stripes differently even at the same point at each foot. Thanks again SP for sending it to me to try! It is lovely!

As an avid reader (and librarian) many people ask me what my favorite book is... well I hate to say I don't have just one. I could never pick just one favorite book. I have a small list of my favorites that I have read over the last say 10 years. Ones that still stand out in my mind. Ones that when you finish it, you are left wondering about the characters and the choices they made. Ones that I would essential read again. I rarely read a book more than once since I have a growing list and many piles of books to be read.

So if you are looking for an interesting read or want to try something a little different, let me suggest a few (in no particular order):
* Prodigal Summer - Barbara Kingsolver
* Hanna's Daughters - Marianne Fredriksson
* The Master Butcher's Singing Club - Louise Eldrich
* Bonesetter's Daughter - Amy Tan
* Keeping Faith - Jody Picoult
* The Lady and the Unicorn - Tracy Chevalier
* The Passion of Atemisia - Susan Vreeland

Those are just a small sample of my favorite books. Ones that have stuck with me and I have recommended over and over again. Some lean toward historical fiction and some lean toward a current fiction feel. If you were asked to recommend one (or more) of your favorites, what books come yo your mind?

6 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Blogger Batty said...

Those socks look great! I have a skein of Tofutsies sitting in my stash, maybe it's time to pull it out...

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of my favorite books are children's books. I love the author Frank Asch and the book Happy Birthday, Moon. Of course, he has many other books that I just love. I also love Margaret Wise Brown who wrote the Big Red Barn and Goodnight Moon. And of course, there's Eric Carl and so on and so on. Although I love to read adult books (and I'm not referring to naughties), I love to sit down and read children's literature.

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

The socks are wonderful. I have a skein of Tofutsies, but haven't knit it up yet.

I love books, too. I'll have to read some that you have suggested.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Diane said...

Ten Apples on Top. I was reading it to the grandkids oh about a dozen times Friday so it's stuck in my head. lol.

The socks look great

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Anne K. said...

I've been hearing folks recommend Prodigal Summer for years, and I think I'm finally going to read it. I LOVED "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver -- what a haunting, wonderful writer she is. Thanks for the reminder of her other works! (and nice socks, too!)

 
At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your socks are great! I loved using that yarn but it does seem like it is dyed irregularly so the socks look way different.
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home