Sunday, September 02, 2007

A trip to the Farmer's Market

I live in a very small town... in fact it is just a village, so we have a newly established farmer's market on Thursdays and Saturdays. I could drive into the next town over (which is a small city) to go to that FM, but I tend to want to support the farmers and crafts people who live near me. Our FM has only been established for about 2-3 years and at the beginning it was two people, but has grown considerably. I have been several times this summer and was pleased with the number of organic growers that I must support their efforts for our environment. It is a treat really to walk around in the little downtown block park where the marker is held. They have a bandstand and there is always a musician playing during market hours. Kind of cute really. I grabbed a few goodies..

That's right a round zucchini and some potatoes. The rest on the counter is actually from my own organic garden that had been picked and ready to be eaten, cooked or frozen. It all looks so wonderful. I think I planted too many yellow squash plants since I have been giving franken-squashes to several family members and friends. Next year more variety.

At the FM I talked to a handmade soap lady who teaches spinning and weaving classes at her llama farm. I saw that she might have yarn/fiber, so I struck up a conversation and she gave me her card. So maybe this fall I will actually learn to spin on a wheel! I have a drop spindle, but can't seem to get the hang of it. I should pull it out one more time just for sanity sake! It will probably click now that I have watch videos and a show on it.

Hello SP! I received another little package yesterday with a second clue. Here are the wonderful little goodies in the envelope.

This package was themed with markers. There is a Post-It note pen with post-its and beautiful knitted bookmarks. One is a Vine Stitch and one is a buttfly pattern. I didn't take a close up of these, but they are lovely. One of the patterns can be found here. There were also the most adorable stitch markers!

Alice in Wonderland! How cute! Suits me well being a elementary school librarian don't you know! Thanks a lot SP. I love the gifties! I will try to decipher clue #2 and post about it tomorrow.

Lastly, I have been knitting on both pair of socks! I got one of the ILG socks completed. It turned out better than I thought it would! I love the grey yarn! And the cables are sitting perfectly on the leg. I even cast on for the second while watching X-Men on HBO last night. My husband's X-mas socks are coming along too. I am closing the toe today and will cast on for the second while he is out golfing with his dad today. Just so you know it is barely 40 degrees right now, so you wouldn't catch me out on the golf course in these temps!

5 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Your socks are beautiful and your gifts are just perfect!

I hope you're having a wonderful holiday weekend!

 
At 7:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Farmer's markets are just the best, aren't they? We have lots of them here due to a heavy load of farms in the surrounding areas, and I try to buy as much from them as I can. There's just such a difference in the vegetables and fruits bought at FMs and the ones at supermarkets, and even though the price might be a bit higher at the FMs, it's certainly worth it! Enjoy all those goodies - yummy!
I love the socks by the way, gorgeous colors!

 
At 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks are great!
You're so lucky to have a farmers market near by. We have a very small one I try to go to when I can.
Karen
http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Batty said...

Great socks!

A good farmers market is a wonderful thing. Ours is lame, just 3 or 4 stalls with a couple of pumpkins. Not that there's anything wrong with pumpkins, I love pumpkins. But you can't subsist on pumpkin alone.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

I met a woman at a farmers market in Oklahoma last summer who was selling her handmade soap. She was also a spinner and had her wheel there with her to keep her occupied when she was not waiting on customers. She guided me to a spinning/weaving shop in the area and that's where I got my first taste of spinning on a wheel. By the end of the year I had my own wheel. It's interesting how similar our stories are. Perhaps you'll buy a wheel before the year is over too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home